Vision, Mission and Strategy
Our vision, for ourselves and others, is simply… “Getting to know Jesus Christ in Margate, the Channel and beyond”. Obviously our dream of dreams is that as many people as possible in Margate and the Channel are saved by faith in Jesus Christ and seek to live gospel lives to the glory of God as His followers... but only God can do that! That is why we need to pray with maximum effort and urgency. However, we are not left useless except perhaps to be able to pray (although prayer is a mighty work and we need to regularly reflect on our view of it!), for God has made it clear that His plan is to use his people to be messengers of the good news of Jesus Christ, contained in the Bible, to those who haven’t yet heard. It is our absolute conviction that when the Bible is read, heard and understood, God’s voice is heard in all its almighty, creating, sustaining and transforming power. Practically then, our vision – our dream – that expresses our conviction of what we’re about day to day as a church and as individuals is simply... ‘Getting to know Jesus Christ in Margate, the Channel and beyond’ This vision includes the following ideas...
- We want people to hear the astonishing news about Jesus so that God will save them, and how will they hear if no-one tells them? [Romans 10v13-14]
- This astonishing news (which we call the gospel) is given to us in the Bible. These are the scriptures that can make people wise for salvation. [2 Timothy 3v15]
- It is about relationship (true knowing) with Jesus rather than knowledge about Him.
- We’re on that journey too.
- Crucially this is not a church vision but a gospel vision. It is for the glory of God not for the glory of One Way Christian Church. The gospel is what creates the church which is, at its simplest, a gathering of people who have responded to the gospel - Christians. [Acts 2]
- Nevertheless, this is the vision for our church because we understand that the church is God’s appointed means for growing his people in their knowing of the Lord Jesus Christ [Ephesians 3] and continuing the commission we were given by Christ himself [Matthew 28v18-20, see ‘Mission Statement’ below].
- We must increasingly pray for God to do His work of rescuing people from the dominion of darkness into the kingdom of the Son He loves. [Colossians 1v13]
Our dream/vision comes straight out of the mission that Jesus gave to all of his followers.Jesus said:
All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore GO and MAKE DISCIPLES of all nations, BAPTISING them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and TEACHING them to OBEY EVERYTHING I HAVE COMMANDED you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. [Matthew 28v18-20]